By Jen Cowan at And Hattie Makes Three
January is a special month for me. Not only is it the start to the new year, fresh beginnings, and new goals, it is also my daughter’s birthday. When we have a party, we go big or go home! When she turned the big ONE we wanted to celebrate in a big way! While it is a party for your child, it is also a party for yourself, shouting out WE SURVIVED! Year 1 is tough stuff.
When planning a big shindig, 3 things I think are important are 1) location 2) theme and of course 3) food.
1) Location – We decided to host the event at St. Louis Carousel at Faust Park! What a glorious venue. Because of that we went with 2) the theme of Cupcakes and Carousels! That brings us to 3) Food. Since it was big day, I didn’t want to spent a lot of time making food. I took a little help from a friend for Miss H’s cupcakes while I made the easy to assemble options including fruit skewers, gluten-free Chex Mix and the star of the show Carousel Crunch! This has to be one of my favorite snack mixes to make for parties.
This snack mix is a crowd pleaser. Perfect for a birthday, big game, or just an after school snack.
- 8 Cups Popcorn
- 2 Cups Pretzel Sticks
- 1 Package Almond Bark
- 1 Bag M&Ms
- Wax Paper
- Melt almond bark over a double boiler.
- Combine pretzels, popcorn in a large bowl.
- Pour almond bark over popcorn and pretzels to evenly coat.
- Once cooled slightly, add the M&Ms to the bowl.
- Pour content of bowl over wax paper in one thin layer. Add Sprinkles over the top for extra color.
- Let cool on wax paper for 4-6 hours. Once dry, store in cool dry place.
Prep time: mins Cook time: 10 minsHours
Total time: 6 Hours
Doesn’t that sound yummy? I also loved that we used such bright fun colors for the party. Definitely think about how your food choice colors and bring your party to life! Those grapes just pop to me!
I also love giving guests a little treat to take home. We opted to have cookies made so everyone could enjoy a treat and re-remember the fun they had at the party. Unlimited rides on a historic carousel sounds like great memories to me!
Thank you so much for letting me share a few fun memories from a very special day! I can guarantee that Miss H had a blast and it was a day we’ll never forget!
Jen is Wife, Mom, and Blogger at And Hattie Makes Three. She spends her time with her 2 year old daughter in St. Louis going on adventures, trying new things, and sharing what they love with their readers! When not blogging, Jen is an aspiring foodie, reality TV junkie, and Starbucks lover.