Christmas Traditions With Kids

by Fawn Rechkemmer on December 9, 2013

Traditions - with kids (2)I have really fond memories of the holiday activities my family did when I was a kid, but what with living in a different town, 30+ years later, I am discovering that it’s nearly impossible to recreate all those same memories for my own kids. (This seems so obvious when I type it out. Sometimes I’m a bit of a slow learner.)

Creating new traditions sounds like serious business, but there is no Christmas police! As the saying goes, “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.” I’ve done a bit of brainstorming about fun holiday things we can do as a family, and if we even do a few of them, I’ll be happy! My list is for an older 3-year-old, but I’ve got some links to lists of ideas for older kids at the bottom of the post. I hope you’re having a great December so far!

Go out for hot cocoa
Decorate with Christmas lights
Make Christmas cookies
Get a new Christmas ornament
Go see Santa at the mall
Make a Christmas ornament/decoration
Perform in a Christmas play
Learn to sing a Christmas song
Buy a gift to donate to a needy child
Wrap a present
Listen to Christmas music
Watch a Christmas movie
Get a piece of Christmas candy (he will love this — he’s still asking for Halloween candy)
Go on a drive to look at Christmas lights
Build a gingerbread house
Pick out a Christmas present for our dog
Go to a Christmas Eve service

Our local newspaper also had a great list of Christmas activities going on locally — I bet yours does too! I’ve also found good lists of ideas from Rookie Moms (with super-cute printables if you’re into that sort of thing. You’ll get no pressure from me!), Modern Mrs. Darcy, and The Mommyhood Memos.

Sarah Kerner is our MOWB Blogger of the Month. Read more from Sarah every Monday in December here at MOWB and on her blog, Beauty School Dropout.

rebecca December 9, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Since I was about six years old, we have always celebrated St Nikolaus Tag. It is my favorite tradition this time of year. I blogged about how we celebrated this year: http://www.xoxorebecca.com/2013/12/glucklicher-saint-nikolaus-tag.html

Sarah @ beauty school dropout December 10, 2013 at 4:49 am

How interesting! Thanks for sharing that link, Rebecca.

Tamara December 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm

We’re creating some nice memories here. Every year we do the town tree lighting and the town Santa train. I’m working my way towards doing the Breakfast with Santa, but my older is still a little spooked by it.
And we also love to go for drives around the neighborhood and shout out, “Lights!” every time we see them.
Even the one-year-old has started joining in! Although he doesn’t quite get it and he’ll just yell, “Lights!” when we’re in the car.

Sarah @ beauty school dropout December 10, 2013 at 4:51 am

Santa train? That sounds awesome! It was too cold for us to attend our towns lighting this year, but I’m hoping we can find an indoor spot to watch the Xmas parade go by this weekend.

Shana Norris December 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I definitely need to check out Adriel’s site – it’s lovely.

I like your list, Sarah. I’ve struggled with feeling like the Christmases my kids are having don’t measure up to the ones I had when I was their age. I think it’s because I’m not looking at it through the eyes of a child anymore :)

We watch several Christmas movies during December (thank goodness for Netflix!) and I add a little extra to the tradition by putting red and green M&Ms in the popcorn we eat while watching.

Sarah @ beauty school dropout December 10, 2013 at 4:55 am

Oh fun — Christmasy popcorn! I totally forgot about Christmas movies, my son is just starting to be old enough to sit through an entire movie, but the scary parts (there’s always something a little scary in most kids movies) are still pretty scary to him. We watched the Burl Ives “Rudolph” movie the other night and he was really scared of the snow monster! I decided we’ll stick to the book version of The Grinch this year.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: