Making Room for Gratitude

by Fawn Rechkemmer on November 25, 2013

Making room for gratitudeIt’s finally Thanksgiving week. Quite possibly one of my favorite weeks of the year.

Many of us have been attempting to focus on gratitude throughout the month of November, instead of saving it up for the big day itself.

But, do you ever feel like you don’t have time to stop and truly be grateful for the wonderful people and things in your life?

I sure do.

I’m currently working my way through Crystal Paine’s 7-Day Say Goodbye to Survival Mode Challenge.

So far, we’re focusing on creating margin in our lives, which is something I’d already been thinking about in recent months. To me, margin goes hand in hand with being present and in the moment, which in turn goes hand in hand with gratitude.

Margin, presence, gratitude. Good things that come wrapped up in one big, often-difficult-to-attain package.

I can’t feel gratitude unless I take the time (create margin) to do so. When I feel gratitude, it’s easier to live in and appreciate the present.

See how they’re all connected? Maybe it’s just me, but I find it difficult to have one without the others.

The challenge for the first day is one I’m struggling with. We were asked to make a list of everything we need to do today, from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed. That wasn’t so difficult. It’s something most of us do on a daily basis anyway, right?

But here’s the catch: now we need to cross three things off the list. Three! I’ve been staring at my list all morning, and I’ve only crossed off one thing.

I guess it’s called a challenge for a reason.

Are you feeling like you don’t have time to be grateful during this season of thankfulness? Do you find yourself postponing it? Maybe you’re waiting for Thursday?

Is there a way you can create a little margin in your day in order to be present and in the moment, and to experience gratitude? Is there one thing you can say no to in order to free up a tiny bit of space in your heart and mind today?

image credit

Nina November 25, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Shana–that is such a great word, “margin.” I have SO little of it. I don’t think I’ve even watched TV without doing three other things at the same time in YEARS. (probably since I started my blog three years ago)

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

My television watching dropped off significantly when I started my blog. When I do sit down to watch a show, though, I don’t do anything else – otherwise my husband would give me WAY too much grief about it. He’s a great influence in that way.

Nina November 25, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Also, Shana, have we made the Missouri connection. I went to WashU and feel an attachment to St. Louis and the whole state!

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm

No! I don’t think we made that connection. St. Louis is a great city. So different from Kansas City, which is where we tend to spend most of our time, simply due to geographical factors.

Stacey November 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love the idea of creating margin in the day!

I meditate daily, which really helps to keep me grounded. It gives me time to rest my head and recalibrate.

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I got out of the meditation habit years ago, and there are times I really miss it. I agree Stacey – it’s a wonderful way to quiet the rushing of our minds.

Sarah @ Beauty School Dropout November 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Creating margin is something I struggle with regularly! I think I need to check out that Challenge.

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

If you find any effective ways to get more of it, be sure to let me know. I’m always looking for ideas!

Tamara November 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I am struggling to find time to be grateful. I have both a photography job and a writing assignment due after Thanksgiving. In fact, I’m supposed to use Thanksgiving as a bit of work because I need to photograph it and pay attention to techniques/situations for good holiday photos.
I love the idea of crossing off three items a day. I can do that!

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Those sound like fun projects/assignments. I hope you’ll share at least a few bits and pieces with us when you’re finished. I never get good holiday photos because of that problematic indoor lighting.

Jessica Vealitzek November 26, 2013 at 8:45 am

It’s been a long process and I by no means have it down perfectly, but I’ve tried to create easy ways to adopt better “making-margin” habits. For instance, I learned about calm.com, and I bookmarked it so it’s an easy click and I can spend two minutes meditating whenever I need it. (I’m on my computer a lot, like many of us.) Two minutes of that and I automatically feel more grateful for almost everything in my life.

Shana Norris November 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Jess, I just checked out calm.com and I love it. Wow. What an interesting concept for those of us who are on our computers all day long. Thanks so much for mentioning it.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: