5 Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving with Kids

by Shana Norris on November 18, 2013

Every night at the dinner table, we do a little thing called Pits and Cherries. Each person gets a chance to talk about one bad thing (a pit) and one good thing (a cherry) that happened that day. My kids love this game so much that they usually initiate it before I even have a chance to.

This month, we’ve changed it up a bit. Instead of Pits and Cherries, we’re talking about five things we’re thankful for each night. It’s a way to introduce an extra dose of gratitude into this season of thankfulness.

Here’s a round up of other ways to celebrate Thanksgiving with your kids:

18 conversation starter

1. Print these Thanksgiving Conversation Starters to get your kids talking about what they’re thankful for.

18 gratitude journal

2.  Make and keep gratitude journals together.

18 thankful rocks

3.  Do you love gold and silver Sharpies as much as my kids and I do?  Check out these gratitude stones at Moonfrye.

18 gratitude tree

4.  Make a gratitude tree.  The possibilities are endless:

18 picture books

5.  Check out some Thanksgiving-themed picture books from your public library (or support a local independently owned bookstore.)  Here are some book lists to get you started:

Image credits:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

What are you doing to be a little more grateful this month?

headshot 150x150
Shana Norris is a writer, reader, runner, coffee guzzler, and chocolate inhaler who dreams of becoming an Avett Brothers groupie. You can follow her on Twitter, Google +ShanaNorris, and Pinterest or on her blog at ShanaNorris.net.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Shellie November 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I always make everyone say what they are grateful for around the Thanksgiving table and I get some serious eye rolling (mostly from the adults) but I love love love these little conversation starters. Great idea!

Shana Norris November 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

My kids don’t roll their eyes – yet – but lately they’ve said the same things at every meal so I’m trying to encourage them to be a little mroe creative with their thankful lists :)

Sarah @ Beauty School Dropout November 19, 2013 at 10:05 am

We’ve been working a short Thanksgiving prayer into our dinnertime prayer rotation. I also bought some Thanksgiving books from the Scholastic flyer but they haven’t arrived yet… bummer.

Shana Norris November 22, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’ve noticed that the Scholastic books can take a LONG time to arrive. I hope yours get here before next Thursday!

Tamara November 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I do feel like it snuck up on me this year, even though it’s late! And the space between Thanksgiving and Christmas is under a month and I also remember it feeling like several months.
I’d like to get some Thanksgiving books in the next week or so. I love the idea of gratitude stones. I have done that in the past but never with my kids.

Shana Norris November 22, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one, Tamara. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas IS extra short this year – six days compared to last year. I want to be sure to savor every delicious moment.

Kelli November 21, 2013 at 4:43 pm

We are celebrating this year with a handful who have so far rolled their eyes at my enthusiasm. I’m going to prepare a prayer, and little bags of cashews with a card for each guest that says something to the effect of, “Thankful for you. Even if I am at times a bit nuts.”

Shana Norris November 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love that idea, Kelli. I bet even the eye rollers will end up having fun, and will make some great memories, too.

Popcosmo November 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

I can’t believe how quickly it came this year! We used to do the same at our dinner table, but I love how you call it pits & cherries! We DEFINITELY need to start it again since I doubt my teens even recall doing it when they were younger. I’m absolutely re-starting this tradition… thank you so much for the reminder!

Shana Norris November 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Let me know how it goes, Kim. I can see Chloe being willing to play along :)